Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between the JSO Academy program and the FSCJ program?admin 2018-03-26T18:58:30+00:00
The JSO program is a full-time position that pays a salary while you obtain your state certification.
The FSCJ program is a community college course that is non-paid and allows you to obtain state certification on your own time.
What are the qualifications for a police officer, court bailiff, or corrections officer?admin 2018-03-26T19:02:47+00:00
How do you become a crime scene investigator?admin 2018-03-26T19:06:17+00:00
All crime scene investigators are fully-sworn police officers. They are classified as detectives. After you have worked as a patrol officer for two years, you are qualified to apply for a transfer to this unit.
Are there any physical requirements?admin 2018-03-26T19:07:28+00:00
Applicants are required to successfully pass a physical ability test.
When will the next police and corrections officers classes begin?admin 2018-03-26T19:08:03+00:00
Classes are ongoing throughout the year. Contact a recruiter for more detailed information by emailing JSOrecruiter@jaxsheriff.org or call us at (904) 713-4870.
How long is the Academy?admin 2018-03-26T19:08:38+00:00
- If a candidate is already a certified police officer, then the Academy class will run approximately 8 weeks.
- If a candidate is not certified, then the Academy program is approximately 12 months.
- If a candidate is already a certified police officer, then the Academy class will run approximately 2 weeks.
- If a candidate is not certified, then the Academy program is approximately 3 1/2 months.
- Court Bailiff’s must possess FDLE certification for BLE or corrections.
What are the educational requirements (Police Officers)?admin 2018-03-26T19:09:50+00:00
- Must possess a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university OR
- Possess an accredited Associate’s Degree or equivalent (60 semester/90 quarter hours) with four (4) years prior active military or full time law enforcement experience OR
- Possess 90 semester/135 quarter hours with two (2) years prior active military or law enforcement experience
Do you get a salary and/or benefits while attending the Academy?admin 2018-03-26T19:11:40+00:00
The JSO program is a full-time position that pays a salary while you obtain your state certification. Benefits are available after 90 days of employment.
The FSCJ program is a state college course that is non-paid position which allows you to obtain state certification on your own time.
What are the physical expectations at the Academy?admin 2018-03-26T19:12:15+00:00
Physical training is required throughout the training process including running, push ups, sit ups, pull ups, etc. Defensive tactics training is also required.
What are the academic requirements throughout the Academy?admin 2018-03-26T19:13:01+00:00
While attending the Academy each recruit must maintain an 80% pass rate to successfully graduate. Upon graduation, each recruit must pass the state exam with a minimum score of 80%.