We are processing applications for FL Certified AND Non-Certified Police positions at this time.
Police Officer. To be a Police Officer and a member of the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office law enforcement family means to be committed to hard work, be trustworthy and serve your community. We hire ethical people who want the challenge of a demanding career and who will give the very best of themselves to our citizens. As a Police Officer, you will have many opportunities to develop skills and grow vocationally in a long term career. After completing two years in patrol, each officer has the opportunity to move to a different full time assignment or add specialty assignments that run parallel to their other duties.
These opportunities include:
The Consolidated City of Jacksonville is home to more than 850,000 residents. Every individual, family and neighborhood looks to every JSO Police Officer to provide leadership, protection and a true dedication to community service. A Police Officer's base salary is determined by a seventeen year career path. Officers' starting salary is $36,240 annually, reaching $54,696 after six years and $62,476 after seventeen years. Sergeants earn 17% above an officer's pay, and Lt's earn 17% above the salary of a sergeant. These base salaries typically increase every year in accordance with applicable collective bargaining agreements. In addition, those in the Police ranks may be eligible to receive education incentives. Other Pay premium include shift differential, working out-of-classification, state career incentives for advanced training, etc.
GENERAL INFORMATION ON HOW TO BECOME A JSO POLICE OFFICER
In addition, Non-Certified Police Applicants must have;
- Must possess a High School diploma or GED equivalent
- Must have completed one of the following:
- Four years of active military service, or
- Four years of full time law enforcement experience, or
- Four years of service in the military reserves and an Associate’s degree or equivalent (60 semester/90 quarter hours), or
- Two years of full time law enforcement experience and an Associate’s degree or equivalent (60 semester/90 quarter hours), or
- Five years of continuous full time employment and an Associate’s degree or equivalent (60 semester/90 quarter hours), or
- Four years currently employed as a full time civilian with the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office and an Associate’s degree or equivalent (60 semester/90 quarter hours), or
- Four years currently employed as a Jacksonville Sheriff's Office Correctional Officer, Community Service Officer, Certified Bailiff, and Judicial Officer, or
- Two years currently employed as a Jacksonville Sheriff's Office Correctional Officer, Community Service Officer, Certified Bailiff, and Judicial Officer and an Associate’s degree or equivalent (60 semester/90 quarter hours), or
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Be at least twenty-one (21) years of age.
- Be a citizen of the United States.
- Must possess a valid Florida driver’s license.
- Be in good physical condition.
- Be of good moral character
- NOT HAVE TATTOOS above the collarbone (e.g., neck, face, or behind the ear) or below the wrist (e.g., hands, fingers).
- NOT HAVE received a dishonorable discharge from any of the Armed Forces
- NOT HAVE been convicted of any felony
- NOT HAVE been convicted of a misdemeanor involving false statement, perjury or domestic violence
In addition, Certified Law Enforcement Officers must have;
- Criminal Justice Basic Abilities Test (CJBAT LEO) for Law Enforcement
- Contact the Florida State College at Jacksonville (FSCJ) at (904) 633-8388 for Assessment and Certification testing information.
- A Basic Law Enforcement Training Certification issued by the Florida Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission. A copy of state exam test score must be submitted.
- Out of state certified applicants contact Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) AT 1-850-410-8600) to obtain certification transfer information.
The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office will sponsor recruit training for Non-Certified Police at the Northeast Florida Criminal Justice Training Center. Recruits will receive a salary and tuition will be paid to the candidates selected for the class.
Salary: $36,240, $38,144, after training 5% increase.
Northeast Florida Criminal Justice Training Center
JSO Recruitment Unit
4715 Capper Road Building P
Jacksonville, FL 32218